Falcons make statement: The Full-Time Hoops Top 25
We've talked a lot about Saint Augustine and San Marcos creating some separation between themselves and the rest of San Diego's top 10, but the defending Open Division champions Torrey Pines says "not so fast."
The Falcons dominated its Del Mar Heights Rd rival Cathedral Catholic 56-44 in the Armstrong Horsman Memorial Tournament, a score that doesn't indicate just how lopsided the game was.
Anchored by D1 bound Otto Landrum and rapidly improving senior Logan Huston, Torrey Pines checks in at No. 3 in my updated Top 25, but they're much closer to 2 than they are to 4.
Mission Bay, Cathedral Catholic, San Ysidro, Mission Hills, La Costa Canyon, San Diego and La Jolla Country Day round out my Top 10.
Mater Dei Catholic checks in at No. 11, but look for the Crusaders to make a move in coming weeks when their football players return after their run to the state championship game. Kenny and Kristian Gonzalez have kept the Crusaders in a lot of games, and they just throttled Bishop's 76-51 in the championship game at Armstrong-Horsman.
Francis Parker checks in at No. 12 after an idle week. The Lancers went 2-2 at the Bucs Thanksgiving Classic, dropping the final game to league rival La Jolla Country Day.
Montgomery's 4-1 start has them up to No. 13. Their only loss was to Sierra Canyon and they've done it without leading returning scorer Tedrous Teshome, who has been out with an injury.
Carlsbad might be 4-5, but their losses are all to very good competition (Mission Bay, Parker, San Marcos, Fairmont Prep and San Juan Hills). They stay in the Top 15 at No. 14.
And Bishop's despite the loss to Mater Dei Catholic, rounds out the Top 15 with wins over Patrick Henry, Christian and a tough 64-58 loss to Torrey Pines.
The Full-Time Hoops Top 25: Top 10
1. Saint Augustine (6-1) - Lone loss was a 51-46 setback to Sierra Canyon. They've been dominant against county teams.
2. San Marcos (4-1) - Won 4 straight after a season-opening loss to Heritage Christian, including a 24-point win over Mission Bay.
3. Torrey Pines (7-0) - Big wins over Mater Dei Catholic and Cathedral Catholic heading into a big nonleague matchup against No. 2 San Marcos.
4. Mission Bay (5-2) - Finished second in their tournament, idle this week.
5. Cathedral Catholic (6-1) - Big win this week over Mission Hills; Torrey Pines its lone defeat
6. San Ysidro (2-3) - Three losses to Sierra Canyon, Saints and a heartbreaker to Cathedral.
7. Mission Hills (4-2) - The rankings dropped before the Grizzlies (now 5-2) beat LCC in a nonleague matchup.
8. LCC (1-3) - Losses to teams that are a combined 20-3 is nothing to frown upon
9. San Diego (2-1) - Lone loss came at the buzzer against Crenshaw in the Beverly Hills Tournament. Throttled Sage Creek the day before.
10. LJCD (6-2) - Losses to San Diego and Mission Bay came by a combined 4 points
11. Mater Dei Catholic (4-2)
12. Francis Parker (3-2)
13. Montgomery (4-1)
14. Carlsbad (4-5)
15. Bishops (5-2)
16. Del Norte (5-3)
17. Madison (6-1)
18. El Camino (0-0)
19. Santa Fe Christian (1-4)
20. Sage Creek (0-3)
21. Hoover (3-2)
22. Orange Glen (3-2)
23. Scripps Ranch (7-2)
24. Poway (3-2)
25. Mt Carmel (1-2)
26. Bonita Vista (1-3)
27. Helix (3-3)
On the cusp: Oceanside, Patrick Henry, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Buena Vista, Mira Mesa