Huge week ahead for the Coastal League: The Full-Time Hoops Top 25
At the start of the season, we were pretty confident that Frnacis Parker would be the runaway favorites in a Coastal League that was in flux. Perennial standard bearer Foothills Christian was way down, Santa Fe Christian graduated almost its entire starting five from last year's league championship team, as did Orange Glen, and La Jolla Country Day lost arguably one of the top 3 prospects in San Diego to transfer.
But then, La Jolla Country Day shocked everyone by beating Francis Parker during an early season tournament, and a COVID-19 pause put the Lancers further behind.
But this week, the Lancers - arguably the hottest team in San Diego and the No. 7 team in the updated Top 25 rankings - could seal the league title with wins over Santa Fe Christian and La Jolla Country Day - or the league picture can become as jumbled as it's ever been.
Santa Fe Christian, which enters the Top 10 for the first time this season, is also 8-1 in league, their only loss coming at Orange Glen by a single point. A win for the Eagles Monday would give them the season sweep of the Lancers.
Here's the Top 25:
1 . St. Augustine (16-7) - Two 70-point wins over league doormat Coronado and a 70-63 loss to Sherman Oaks Notre Dame.
2. San Marcos (18-4) - Four wins this week, capped off with a 51-36 win over Mater Dei Catholic
3. La Costa Canyon (16-5) - 82-79 win over San Ysidro gives them two wins against top-5 teams this year (beat San Marcos in December)
4. San Ysidro (15-6) - The LCC loss was the Cougars first in a month
5. Torrey Pines (16-5) - Falcons undefeated in Coastal NC League but took 70-61 loss to Rancho Christian at Border Boyz Classic
6. Mission Hills (16-6) - Big win over a Del Norte team that had beaten San Marcos, also beat Poway
7. Francis Parker (12-4) - Six wins in a row setting up huge contest against SFC on the road Monday night
8. Mission Bay (16-6) - Win over rival La Jolla in lone game of the week
9. Cathedral Catholic (16-8) - Buzzer-beating win over San Diego snapped a three-game losing streak
10. Santa Fe Christian (16-8) - Eagles have only one loss since Dec. 30
11. Del Norte (17-6) - Nighthawks escaped Rancho Bernardo with 1-point win before loss to Mission Hills
12. Carlsbad (14-9) - A last-second bucket by LCC away from a perfect week; wins over Vista and El Camino
13. La Jolla Country Day (14-6) - Torreys lurking a game back of SFC and Parker with games against both of them this week
14. Mater Dei Catholic (12-7) - Wins over Bonita Vista and Olympian but a loss to San Marcos at home on Saturday
15. Montgomery (17-5) - Wins over Olympian and Bonita Vista for the second-place Aztecs
16. Hoover (15-7) -OT win over San Diego, avenged their lone league loss with a 20-point win vs Christian
17. San Diego (14-8) - Losses to Cathedral and Hoover at the buzzer and OT, win against Murrieta Mesa
18. Orange Glen (16-7) - Two big losses to Parker and LJCD
19. San Dieguito Academy (13-6) - Winners of eight straight and unchallenged in wins against RBV and La Jolla
20. Madison (16-7) - Key divisional wins against Central and Ramona
21. Scripps Ranch (16-7) - Wins over Escondido Charter and Mira Mesa
22. Patrick Henry (13-11) - Double OT loss to Point Loma, but rebounded with buzzer-beating win over El Camino
23. Eastlake (12-7) - Titans 3-3 in the rugged Mesa League
24. Mt. Carmel (12-7) - Sundevils running away with Valley League race
25. Otay Ranch (12-9) - 3-game losing streak with losses to Mt. Carmel, Bonita Vista and Mater Dei Catholic